In many households, pets are just as loved as any other member of the family, and when they’re injured or ill, it’s hard on everyone.
When a healthcare crisis arises, we all want to provide the best care for our pets.
Unfortunately, with the cost of veterinary care rising throughout the U.S., the expense can just be too high for some.
That’s why so many pet parents are turning to pet insurers to make sure their animal companions can have access to high quality, professional health care.
The information below describes some of the best pet insurance carriers in San Diego.
Pet Insurance in San Diego
We’ve scrutinized the costs, coverage, claims processes, and reputations of each provider and narrowed the list down for you.
Here are the five best companies that provide pet insurance in San Diego:
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
- Monthly Costs: Starts at $32.83 for dogs and $17.19 for cats
- Coverage: 70 percent to 90 percent reimbursement after deductible, depending on the plan
- Payout Limits: Unlimited
- Deductible: Ranges from $100 to $500 annually, depending on the plan
Healthy Paws has a rating of A+ from the BBB, and the number of annual complaints filed against the company is below average at 27.
When it comes to simplicity, Healthy Paws is the best pet insurance option.
The company offers a single plan for cats and dogs aged eight weeks to 14 years old, covering a long list of treatments and conditions, at rates that are well below national averages.
The company’s claims process is simple, and reimbursements are typically received within two weeks of filing.
Embrace Pet Insurance
- Monthly Costs: Starts at $13.04 for dogs and $8.98 for cats
- Coverage: Ranges from 70 percent to 90 percent after deductible, depending on the plan
- Payout Limits: Coverage caps range between $5000 and $30,000 online or unlimited via phone enrollment annually
- Deductible: Ranges from $200 to $1,000 annually, depending on the plan
Embrace has a grade of A+ with the BBB and just 38 complaints in the last three years.
Embrace offers some of the best pet insurance in San Diego thanks to its low rates and the long list of treatments and medical conditions covered by its plans.
Wellness coverage is available as an optional add-on to policyholders as well.
Policies are available for cats and dogs aged eight weeks to 14 years.
ASPCA Pet Insurance
- Monthly Costs: Rates vary based on the plan, but starting quotes for a mixed breed dog or purebred cat are shown at $23.39
- Coverage: 70 percent, 80 percent, or 90 percent, depending on the plan
- Payout Limits: Ranges from $5,000 to unlimited, depending on the plan
- Deductible: $100, $250, or $500, depending on the plan
ASPCA pet insurance is administered by Crum & Forster, which has an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and a below average number of complaints over the past three years.
Policies are available for cats and dogs as young as eight weeks, with no upper age restrictions.
Coverage inclusions are extensive, and there are several ways to submit claims, including via mobile app.
Reimbursements are promised within 30 days; however, customers typically report being paid promptly.
Rates appear to be competitive, especially when compared to the national monthly average of $44.66 for dogs and $27.93 for cats.
Petfirst Pet Insurance
- Monthly Costs: Starts at $16.95 for dogs and $8.95 for cats
- Coverage: Ranges from 70 percent to 90 percent, depending on the plan
- Payout Limits: $5,000, $10,000, or $20,000 annually, depending on the plan
- Deductible: Ranges from $50 to $500 per incident
With the details above, you should now have enough information to begin your search for the best pet insurance in San Diego and feel comfortable shopping around for an insurance policy that suits your pet and your budget.
Petfirst has a rating of A+ from the BBB and only seven complaints over the past 12 months.
The company offers plans for cats and dogs as young as eight weeks old.
Unlike most other insurance providers, it also provides insurance policies that are specific to senior dogs.
Minimum rates offered by Petfirst are well below national averages, and many current and former customers praise the company for its easy claims process and quick turnaround times, which it guarantees as within two weeks of filing a claim.
PetSmart Pet Insurance
- Monthly Costs: Starts at $33.95 for dogs and $23.95 for cats
- Coverage: 100 percent coverage
- Payout Limits: Unlimited
- Deductible: No deductible
PetSmart works with Banfield Pet Hospital to offer preventative care plans, and while these plans don’t qualify as traditional pet insurance, they do provide many services to pet owners at a low monthly rate.
Though customers are required to access care in a Banfield Pet Hospital location, it’s worth noting that Banfield has both standalone locations and PetSmart in-store locations all over the country.
Banfield Pet Hospital has an A+ rating from the BBB, and although the 200 annual complaints seem quite high, all of them have been responded to by the company and closed by the BBB.
Finding Pet Insurance in San Diego
Comparison shopping is crucial when choosing a pet insurance policy.
Companies offer varying levels of coverage at a wide range of rates, and your goal is to find an insurance provider that gives you ample coverage at a price that fits your budget.
When shopping, you also need to remember that rates are calculated on a variety of factors beyond your pet’s age and breed, to include things like the veterinary costs in your city and state.
For California, these costs are among the highest in the country, well over any other state and almost $600 more than the lowest priced states.
We based our evaluation off more than 30 pet insurance providers and provided you with the top 5 help narrow down your search!*While we make every effort to keep our site updated, please be aware that "timely" information on this page, such as quote estimates, or pertinent details about companies, may only be accurate as of its last edit day. Huntley Wealth & Insurance Services and its representatives do not give legal or tax advice. Please consult your own legal or tax adviser.