Pure entertainment. Pure love. That early-morning paw to the face. That’s why we love our pets.
It’s also why we want to be able to take care of them no matter what happens.
And being both lovers of pets and lovers of insurance, here is our comprehensive guide on everything you need to know for insuring your pet with one of the best pet insurance companies.
Finding the Best Pet Insurance For Your Pet
It’s difficult when our critters are injured, get sick, or grow old. But this is when we have a chance to return the same comfort and care to our pets that they have continuously given us.
Pet insurance is a solid way to prepare our pets and our hearts for tough times. And it’s essential to find the right policy from the best pet insurance provider so you can get the best coverage at the best price.
After extensive research, we’ve put together this list of the top 10 providers. Let’s take a closer look at each one, what they offer and how they stack up against their industry competition.
Top 10 Pet Insurance Companies
Here are the 10 best pet insurance providers in 2021:
- Best Overall: Healthy Paws
- Best for Customizable Plans: PetPlan
- Best for Fast Claims Processing: Embrace Pet Insurance
- Best for Exotic Animals: Nationwide Pet Insurance
- Best for Online Access: Figo
- Best for Discounts: PetFirst
- Best for Senior Pets: Pets Best
- Best for Animal Awareness: ASPCA Pet Insurance
- Best for Years of Experience: PetPartners
- Best for Coverage Options: Progressive Pet Insurance
1. Healthy Paws
Healthy Paws is #1 in customer satisfaction and is a leader in the pet insurance industry.
It follows a customer-centric business model by offering incredible pricing and bountiful policies.
- No reimbursement caps on coverage on all policies
- Unlimited lifetime benefits on all policies
- Affordable monthly premiums
- Mobile app and fast online claims processing
- Free 30-day look period, 100% money-back guarantee
- 7-day customer care with expert and caring representatives
- Generous comprehensive coverage including illness and accidents, congenital and chronic conditions, surgeries, hospitalizations, and alternative therapies
- Covers hip dysplasia if your pet is enrolled after age 6
- Top financial strength ratings year after year
- Pre-existing conditions are excluded from coverage
With its solid financial ratings and underwriting from the well-respected Chubb Corporation, you can’t go wrong with this Washington-based pet insurance provider whose heart is in it for their customers: you and your pets.
Petplan has been offering comprehensive pet insurance coverage with customizable plans since 2003.
- All plans cover illnesses, accidents, chronic and hereditary conditions
- Broadest plans offer extras including boarding fees and travel reimbursement in certain situations
- Covers vet exam fees
- 24/7 customer service
- Free online quote to compare plans
- Reimbursement levels up to 100%
- Some pre-existing conditions may be covered after an exclusionary period
- No maximum age limit for both cats and dogs
- Pricing slightly higher than industry average
The company holds a superior A+ rating with A.M. Best (underwriters: part of the Allianz Group), the highest financial rating available.
Additionally, The Humane Society of the United States recommends this pet insurance provider.
Now, that’s trust you can count on.
3. Embrace Pet Insurance
Since 2003, Embrace Pet Insurance has been exceeding expectations in the pet insurance industry by focusing on what they do best: a fast reimbursement process.
- Free 24/7 online access to a network of veterinarians
- Highly rated on most online customer reviews websites
- Non-traditional care or treatments are covered, including prosthetic limbs, behavioral therapy, and alternative treatments
- Fast claims processing— turnaround in a few days
- Broad range of deductible choices and reimbursement levels
- Wellness Rewards can be added to plan to cover routine care
- Does not offer unlimited coverage, with a $15,000 maximum benefit limit
The company has an outstanding A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau as well as a superior A+ rating by A.M. Best (underwriter: American Modern Insurance Group).
It offers an annual healthy pet deductible if you remain claim-free for the policy period.
Pricing may be slightly higher than other carriers.
Nationwide Pet Insurance offers one of the most comprehensive pet insurance plan in the marketplace today.
The company holds a superior financial A+ rating by A.M. Best and is a well-known and trusted household name in all states.
- Plans cover exotic animals and birds, in addition to cats and dogs
- Three different levels of coverage:
- Major Medical covers illness and accidents and some hereditary conditions
- Wellness covers accident and illness and wellness care
- Pet Wellness covers routine care
- Unlimited coverage offered on elite plans only
- Mobile app to pay bills and view your policies
- Free online quote
- Higher prices than national averages
This is the only pet insurance company on my top 10 list that offers expanded coverage for exotic animals and birds.
Its plans are more expensive but also offers the most comprehensive coverage available out there.
Since 2012, Figo has taken an innovative approach to pet insurance, beginning with the introduction of the Figo Pet Cloud technology platform where you can manage your account including filing claims online.
The company holds an excellent A rating by A.M. Best (underwriter: Markel American Insurance Company).
Really, for a younger insurance company, Figo offers coverage for an extensive list of conditions and treatments.
- Hip dysplasia, hereditary and congenital conditions are covered unless it is a pre-existing condition
- Alternative and holistic treatments are included
- Exam fees and some behavioral therapy are also covered
- Plans have a 100% reimbursement level and unlimited benefit options
- Mobile app for account maintenance
- Straightforward claims processing
- No upper age limits for both dogs and cat
With Figo, you manage your account online via a mobile app, contacting customer service, uploading documents, and more. It helps keep you organized when it comes to your pet care. Who doesn’t want that?
Since 2004, PetFirst has offered pet insurance plans with standard coverage and pricing.
Discounts are where this company excels, by helping their customers to save money while getting the best coverage for their customer’s pets.
- Plans cover illness and injuries but also hereditary, congenital and chronic conditions, and periodontal disease
- Accident coverage starts only 24 hours after enrollment
- Discounts offered are for multi-pet (more than one pet insured) and healthy pets (no claims filed for a year)
- No upper age limit for both dogs and cats
- Wellness plan coverage can be added
- No unlimited coverage on elite plan
- Elite plans are more expensive than competitor plans offering the same coverage
Petfirst holds a superior A+ rating by A.M. Best (American Alternative Insurance Corporation).
That’s as good as you get.
And, even though its elite plan is more expensive than most, it covers many conditions, even periodontal disease, which is common in certain breeds.
7. Pets Best
Founded in 2005 by Dr. Jack Stephens, the “father” of the U.S. pet insurance industry, Pets Best offers not only standard coverage but also includes prescription medications and other non-traditional items in its policy.
- Three-tier of plans offering standard accident and illness coverage
- Prescription medications, exam fees, and alternative therapies are included
- No upper age limits for enrollment
- 24/7 pet helpline
- Fast online claims processing with a direct deposit option
- Unlimited top-tier plan
- Elite plan price is higher than the national average
The company has a solid financial rating by A.M. Best (American Pet Insurance Company) and holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Their top-tier plan price is more expensive than competitors, but the company will cover your senior pets without question.
That may be worth your look.
8. ASPCA Pet Insurance
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is a non-profit organization that has been promoting animal welfare since 1866.
It offers multiple comprehensive pet insurance plans.
- Three Plans: Accident Only, Accident and Illness, and Complete Coverage
- Top-tier plan offers unlimited coverage option (Complete Coverage)
- Alternative treatments such as acupuncture or stem-cell therapy are only covered under Complete Coverage
- Wellness plans are available
- Continuing care endorsement is required to cover ongoing conditions requiring treatment in the upcoming year
The ASPCA is a well-known national nonprofit organization that’s mission is to prevent and stop cruelty towards animals.
If what they do is really important to you, then maybe that is why you choose this company.
If you do, keep in mind that the two basic plans are pretty basic.
For broader coverage, you have to go with the Complete Coverage plan.
PetPartners has more than 30 years of experience in the pet insurance industry and is the exclusive insurance provider of the American Kennel Club.
It was also selected by the Cat Fanciers’ Association Partners to provide pet insurance to its members.
- Plans: Accident Only and Accident and Illness
- Quick claims processing of 14 days on illnesses and 3 days for accidents
- Flexible deductible available
- Incident level and annual benefit limits are available
- No choice offered on reimbursement limit options: 80% on both plans
- Plans are pricier than more comprehensive plans offered by competitors
The company is accredited with Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ grade with the BBB as well.
However, its plans are more restrictive than competitors by not offering unlimited coverage nor any choice on reimbursement levels.
10. Progressive Pet Insurance
Although coverage is underwritten by a third party, Progressive offers an array of options for pet owners, and can cover dogs or cats above seven weeks of age. The compa