- Fabric Life allows term life insurance conversion to permanent policies at any time, as long as you’re under 65.
- Fabric offers free wills online – even if you don’t purchase life insurance.
- With a completely online application process and simplified algorithmic underwriting, healthy applicants can qualify for and purchase no medical exam life insurance coverage in less than 30 minutes.
- Fabric Life Insurance Company is one of the few allowing payments with a debit or credit card; great news for those who use credit card points.
Life insurance protects your family in case the unspeakable happens. It allows them to be financially stable even if they lose your source of income.
While many people with families and dependents should strongly consider purchasing life insurance, the process tends to put people off. First you have to shop for coverage, find the right policy and company, apply for life insurance, then take a medical exam. It can take weeks and the process isn’t always easy to understand.
Luckily, the finance and technology industries have partnered up to offer fintech; an easier and faster approach has created a headache-free way to purchase life insurance and secure your family’s financial stability.
Fabric Life is one of the companies working to streamline the process of purchasing life insurance. They have created an online process to help you sign up, review rates, and ultimately get a plan in place. Using artificial intelligence and databases, Fabric Life Insurance Company can determine if you’re eligible for coverage and if you have to take a medical exam in minutes.
If you’re not sure where to begin, check out our review of Fabric Life Insurance to learn about what they are, what they offer, and how to get started.
Table of Contents
- What is Fabric Life Insurance?
- Fabric Life Insurance Products
- Pros and Cons
- Alternatives to Fabric Life Insurance
WHAT IS FABRIC LIFE INSURANCE?
Fabric Life Insurance Company is an online term and accidental life insurance policy company. Based in Brooklyn, they were founded in 2017 by two fintech entrepreneurs who wanted to help reinvent the way we buy life insurance. Like many consumers, they were frustrated with the weeks-long process of purchasing life insurance.
Fabric Life allows you to purchase life insurance based on an application that takes about ten minutes to complete. AI technology quickly reviews your application to determine if you qualify. This greatly reduces the time it takes to buy life insurance when compared to the traditional model. Unfortunately, some users may still have to complete a medical exam, but the rest of the process is more streamlined and efficient.
All Fabric policies are issued by Vantis Life, which is a Penn Mutual Company. Vantis received an A+ rating from AM Best, which means that AM Best is confident in Vantis’ ability to pay your claim.
A REVIEW OF FABRIC LIFE INSURANCE PRODUCTS
Fabric offers two main life insurance products to review: Fabric Instant and Fabric Premium.
For both products, the process begins online and gives you an estimated rate in about five minutes. The full application should take about ten minutes, unless you end up needing a medical exam.
So, what is the difference between Fabric Instant and Fabric Premium? Let’s find out below.
Fabric Instant Review
Fabric Instant is the accidental death policy offered by Fabric Life Insurance Company. This policy pays out if you die accidentally.
For example, your policy will pay your beneficiary if you die in a car crash.
It will not pay out if you die from disease or natural causes. It also will not cover accidental injury or dismemberment.
Fabric issues these policies instantly, and it typically takes insureds about two minutes to complete the application and issue the policy. If you meet the qualifications below, you are guaranteed to be issued a Fabric Instant accidental death policy.
Fabric Instant Qualifications
- You are NOT required to take a medical exam to qualify.
- You must be between the age of 25 to 50.
- Coverage will terminate when you turn 60.
For Fabric Instant, everyone pays the same amount based on their coverage.
This is because this is an accidental death policy, which means people’s chances of dying are roughly the same.
This is what you will pay for Fabric Instant:
- $100,000 in coverage = $6/month
- $250,000 in coverage = $15/month
- $500,000 in coverage = $30/month
Fabric Premium Review
Fabric Premium is the term life insurance policy offered by Fabric Life Insurance Company. These policies cover most causes of death including fire, vehicle crashes, illness, natural causes, and homicide.
They will not pay out if the insured commits suicide in the first two years of the policy or dies due to alcohol or military-related reasons.
Just like other life insurance companies, Fabric may also deny a claim made by your beneficiary if the company reviews your application and determines you misrepresented yourself when applying. This is why it’s vital to not lie when completing a life insurance application.
Fabric will issue term life insurance policies to anyone between the ages of 25 and 60. These policies are medically underwritten, which means that you may have to complete a medical exam if Fabric deems your health risky.
If you are young and healthy, you will likely be able to skip the medical exam. If not, a nurse practitioner will come to your house and perform a physical and a blood test. You can also choose to go to an approved lab to have the medical exam completed, if you prefer.
Fabric allows you to increase your coverage at any time. If you are a resident of California or New York, you must first apply for a Fabric Instant policy to purchase a Fabric Premium policy.
For Fabric Premium, or the term life policy, pricing is a bit more complicated.
This is because everyone is judged based on their individual risk of dying within the term.
Fabric evaluates your risk to the insurance company when you first sign up for a policy.
Some of the categories that they base their risk model on are:
- Tobacco usage: Non-smokers will receive a lower rate than smokers or tobacco users.
- Age: The younger you are, the lower your premium will be. You will not qualify if you are over 60 years old.
- Driving record: Your rate will be lower if your record is free of moving violations.
- Health: Fabric will ask about your cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI, and family history.
- Occupation: If you have a dangerous job, like a truck driver, you will pay a higher premium than someone with a desk job.
- Hazardous lifestyle: Do you enjoy skydiving and free climbing? You may pay for it in your insurance premiums.
- Recreational alcohol or drug use: If you have been in a rehabilitation facility in the last five years, you will pay more than someone who has not.
The price you pay for your term life policy will be based on these factors. Fabric claims that their minimum premium is $9.36 per month. Realistically, you can expect your monthly premium to be anywhere from $10 to nearly $300, depending on your risk factors and level of coverage.
According to Fabric Life Insurance Company, applicants in excellent health applying for 20-year term life insurance coverage will pay:
- $14.61 per month: 29-year-old female with $250,000 in coverage
- $34.17 per month: 35-year-old male with $750,000 in coverage
- $41.61 per month: 42-year-old female with $500,000 in coverage
Regardless of your policy, Fabric allows you to pay with a debit or credit card. This is a great way to rack up credit card points. If your credit card declines, Fabric gives you a 31-day grace period to make your payment. After that, your policy will be canceled.
FABRIC LIFE INSURANCE CUSTOMER REVIEWS
One way to determine if a life insurance company is a good choice is to look at customer reviews. We did just that for Fabric Life, to help you decide if it’s the right fit for you.
Fabric Life Insurance company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, meaning it has a high level of resolution for customer complaints. In the last three years, 18 complaints have been filed and 8 were closed and resolved in the last year.
After 1,709 customer reviews on Trustpilot, Fabric Life Insurance has 4.8 out of 5 stars, rating it as excellent.
Though no customer reviews have been posted, Consumers Advocate reviewed Fabric Life Insurance Company, giving it an excellent rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
PROS AND CONS OF FABRIC LIFE INSURANCE
With something as important as life insurance, it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons of the company before you make a final decision.
Here are some of the pros and cons to review before purchasing your life insurance through Fabric.
- Reputable insurance company: Penn Mutual is the second-oldest mutual life insurance company in the country. Having been in business since 1847, they are highly regarded in the life insurance space. They have also been highly rated by various bureaus, which means they are able to payout your claims.
- Quick application: Life insurance used to be a pain to apply for. These days, companies like Fabric have made it convenient to find out what life insurance rates are available to you. In five to ten minutes, you can find out how much you would pay for a term life insurance policy.
- Excellent customer service: If you are having trouble with Fabric, you can chat with a licensed insurance professional. In fact, Fabric is consistently praised for its prompt and polite customer service team.
- Medical exam: Unfortunately, Fabric may determine that you need to take a medical exam before your policy is fully underwritten. There are other life insurance companies that do not require medical exams, which can make Fabric inconvenient for those who qualify.
- No opportunity for comparison: Fabric only offers accidental death and term life insurance through Vantis Life, so you can’t compare coverage and rates to other insurance companies on their website.
- Not available nationwide: Fabric Premium is not available to residents of Montana, California, and New York.
- Age limits: Fabric has fairly narrow age restrictions. You can only apply for a policy if you’re between 25 and 60 years old. If you purchase an accidental death policy, your policy will cease to be effective after you turn 60.
- Electronic correspondence only: If you prefer to speak to a representative on the phone, you first have to email Fabric to get a phone number, as one is not listed on the website.
ALTERNATIVES TO FABRIC
If, for some reason, you decide that Fabric doesn’t meet your needs, don’t worry. There are other fintech life insurance companies out there that may be able to help.
Here are some other companies to consider and review if you’re in the market for life insurance.
IS FABRIC THE BEST LIFE INSURANCE FOR YOU?
Fabric is an excellent option if you are looking for a quick process, simple options, and straightforward underwriting. If you are over 50 years old, have medical issues, or need more complex life insurance options, Fabric may not be your best option.
Overall, Fabric is a middle-of-the-pack option when it comes to fintech life insurance. Be sure to shop around and make sure you are aware of all your options before you make a final decision.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT FABRIC LIFE INSURANCE
Does Fabric offer other types of insurance?
Fabric Life Insurance Company only offers term life insurance and accidental death insurance coverage. You can also get a free last will and testament, a 529 College Savings Plan for your children, and a high-yield savings account in the Fabric app.
Is Fabric Life Insurance safe?
There are many positive customer reviews about Fabric Life Insurance Company. Rating companies like AM Best and the Better Business Bureau give Fabric A+ ratings, too. With mostly positive ratings from consumers and rating companies, Fabric Life Insurance can be considered a safe and trustworthy company.
Where is Fabric Life Insurance available?
Fabric term life insurance products are available to residents in all states and the District of Colubmia except for Montana and New York. For accidental death coverage, Fabric is offered everywhere in the continental U.S. except Colorado, Massachusetts, Montana, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.*While we make every effort to keep our site updated, please be aware that "timely" information on this page, such as quote estimates, or pertinent details about companies, may only be accurate as of its last edit day. Huntley Wealth & Insurance Services and its representatives do not give legal or tax advice. Please consult your own legal or tax adviser.