Allianz Global Assistance is a subsidiary of Allianz SE, which is one of the largest insurance companies in the world. Depending on the policyholder’s state and chosen plan type, Allianz’s policies are underwritten by Jefferson Insurance Company, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, and BCS Insurance Company.
Allianz is partnered with thousands of companies including airlines, hotels, travel agents, and credit card companies, making its insurance plans and concierge services available to travelers across the country.
Allianz was founded in 1890 and for many years solely offered travel insurance but has since expanded to a variety of other insurance products, as well as banking and asset management.
Allianz Travel Insurance provides customers with an extensive list of coverage options, including single trip and annual insurance plans.
Plans are affordable, particularly for families, as many of the company’s plans include free coverage for children aged 17 and under when traveling with a parent or grandparent.
Allianz’s customer service is industry-leading, with 24/7 access to the company’s support hotline, a mobile app, and online policy management and claims submission tools.
Allianz travel insurance offers a wide array of insurance plans to accommodate any type of traveler.
The company provides both single trip and annual plans with multiple options falling under each category, as well as rental car damage insurance.
Plan selections are extensive and help put Allianz ahead of many of its competitors. Some of the choices offered under Allianz’s various travel plans include:
Allianz Travel Insurance Coverage & Plans
- Trip cancellation/interruption
- Accidental death
Allianz OneTrip Cancellation Plus Plan
- This is Allianz’s most affordable plan and the best choice for domestic travelers. The plan includes cancellation and trip interruption coverage, as well as travel delay coverage up to $150. Additional medical coverage can be purchased for existing conditions.
Allianz OneTrip Basic Plan
- Ideal for domestic and international travelers who are looking for an economical insurance option, the OneTrip Basic Plan includes trip cancellation/interruption coverage, as well as limited coverage for emergency medical, emergency transportation, baggage loss/damage, and baggage delay. Customers have the option of purchasing additional medical coverage for preexisting conditions.
Allianz OneTrip Prime Plan
- According to Allianz, this is its most popular plan. The OneTrip Prime Plan is an excellent choice for families embarking on international or domestic vacations, including cruises and tours, because it offers free coverage for children who are traveling with a parent or grandparent. This plan covers trip cancellation and interruption for a variety of reasons, as well as emergency medical, emergency transportation, travel delay, baggage loss/damage, baggage delay, change fee coverage, loyalty program re-deposit fee coverage, and optional, preexisting medical condition coverage.
Allianz OneTrip Premier Plan
- This plan is a preferred choice for international travelers who require higher coverage limits than the OneTrip Prime Plan offers. The Premier Plan offers increased limits on everything the Prime Plan covers, as well as a fixed payment of $100 for covered travel or baggage delays.
Allianz OneTrip Emergency Medical Plan
- This plan is intended for travelers who are looking for an insurance plan that covers only emergency medical expenses and post-departure mishaps such as lost baggage and trip delays. It excludes trip cancellation/interruption coverage but is available at inexpensive rates.
Allianz AllTrips Basic Plan
- This plan provides travelers with annual coverage that includes emergency medical and travel insurance, as well as trip delay and lost/stolen baggage insurance. This is the ideal plan for frequent travelers who don’t require trip cancellation/interruption coverage but may need access to medical insurance in countries where their personal health benefits aren’t accepted. Customers who purchase this plan also receive Allianz’s Rental Car Damage Plan option.
Allianz AllTrips Prime Plan
- This affordable plan provides comprehensive coverage throughout the year for multiple trips. It’s an excellent choice for frequent travelers who prefer to carry trip cancellation/interruption insurance on top of emergency medical, emergency transportation, trip delay, and lost/stolen baggage insurance.
Allianz AllTrips Executive Plan
- Ideal for business travelers, the AllTrips Executive Plan includes higher limitations on trip cancellation/interruption and includes everything the Prime Plan offers as well. It also provides travelers with the option of adding business equipment rental benefits.
Allianz AllTrips Premier Plan
- The most comprehensive plan offered by Allianz, the AllTrips Premier Plan includes annual coverage for worldwide travel. Customers have the option of choosing limitations that best suit their needs, up to a maximum of $15,000 for trip cancellation/interruption coverage. This plan also includes unlimited access to Allianz’s concierge service and can be tailored to provide coverage for the entire family.
Rental Car Damage Protector
- This plan is available for $9 per day and provides travelers with collision, loss, and damage coverage when renting a vehicle, as well as access to 24-hour emergency services.
|Covered Excuses||OneTrip Cancellation Plus||OneTrip Basic||OneTrip Prime||OneTrip Premier||OneTrip Emergency Medical||AllTrips Basic||AllTrips Prime||AllTrips Executive||AllTrips Premier|
|Tour Operator Cancellation||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Traveler||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Non-traveling Family Member||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Business Partner||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Host||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Hosts Family or Friends||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Natural Disaster at Destination||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Tour Operator/Airline/Cruise Line Ceases Operation||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Terrorism/Evacuation at Destination||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Home or Business Damaged||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Jury Duty/Court Appearance||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Victim of Crime Prior to Trip||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Car Accident Prior to Trip||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Theft of Passport Prior to Trip||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|CFAR Coverage (Cancel for any reason)||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Coverage||OneTrip Cancellation Plus||OneTrip Basic||OneTrip Prime||OneTrip Premier||OneTrip Emergency Medical||AllTrips Basic||AllTrips Prime||AllTrips Executive||AllTrips Premier|
|Trip Cancellation||Yes||Yes||100% of costs||100% of costs||No||No||$2,000||$5,000||$2,000|
|Cancel for Any Reason||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Trip Interruption||Yes||Yes||150% of costs||150% of costs||No||No||$2,000||$5,000||$2,000|
|Interrupt for Any Reason||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Accident and Sickness Medical Expenses||No||$10,000||$25,000||$50,000||$25,000||$20,000||$20,000||$50,000||$50,000|
|Emergency Evacuation, Medically Necessary Repatriation, and Repatriation of Remains||No||$50,000||$500,000||$1,000,000||$500,000||$100,000||$100,000||$250,000||$500,000|
|Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)||No||No||No||No||$10,000||$25,000||$25,000||$50,000||$50,000|
|Air Flight Only AD&D||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Baggage and Personal Effects||No||$500||$1,000||$2,000||$2,000||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000||$2,000|
|Change Fee Coverage||No||No||$500||$500||No||No||No||$250||No|
|Reimbursement of Miles or Rewards Points||No||No||$500||$500||No||No||No||No||No|
|Rental Car Damage||No||No||No||No||No||$45,000||$25,000||$50,000||$45,000|
With all Allianz trip insurance plans, customers have the option to include medical insurance for preexisting conditions.
This coverage is exclusive to any injury or illness that the customer was treated for in the 120 days prior to purchasing their plan.
To receive coverage for a preexisting medical condition, policyholders must be U.S. residents, and the total cost of their trip must be less than $10,000.
Allianz Travel Insurance Costs
When planning any trip, it’s always a good idea to budget an amount that equals approximately four to eight percent of the total trip cost to purchase travel insurance.
Of course, while the cost of travel insurance typically falls within this price range, rates depend on a variety of factors such as the length and destination of the trip, the age of the policyholder and insured family members, and even the method of travel.
To get an accurate quote, it’s necessary to contact Allianz travel insurance and provide an insurance agent with the trip details and information on who’s being insured.
Frequent travelers looking for a more affordable option can consider annual travel insurance packages, which provide coverage for multiple trips throughout the year.
Families traveling with children should be pleased to know that several of Allianz’s plans include free insurance for children aged 17 and under who are vacationing with a parent or grandparent.
In some cases, travelers may cancel their plans after purchasing trip protection by Allianz travel insurance.
If customers need to cancel their insurance policy, they can do so within ten days of purchasing coverage, provided they haven’t made any claims.
Allianz provides a full refund to customers who cancel their policy following these guidelines.
Customer Reviews & Reputation
These ratings indicate the company’s strong belief in providing excellent customer service, comprehensive and easy to understand travel insurance plans and a simple claims process.
Allianz’s reputation is standard for the industry, as other travel insurance providers also hold an A+ rating from the BBB.
Allianz has an above-average amount of complaints filed against it with the BBB; however, the company also has a higher number of outstanding policies when compared to many competitors, which is important to consider when conducting research.
There have been 396 complaints against Allianz Global Assistance in the last three years. The most recent complaints appear to pertain to customers that are dissatisfied after a denied claim. Allianz responded to, and the BBB closed, all complaints on file.
Customer Assistance Services
Allianz provides all policyholders with access to an array of account management tools, including a 24/7 customer service hotline for asking questions, making policy changes, and filing claims. Providing its customers with this 24/7 access is incredibly important, particularly in the travel industry where policyholders may be in different time zones and require immediate assistance with their plans.
Allianz is ahead of many competitors when it comes to offering a digital experience to its customers. In addition to its service hotline, Allianz offers a mobile app that can be used in the same way, as well as a user-friendly website that allows customers to manage their policy, submit claims, and check the status of the claims they’ve already filed.
For customers looking to purchase a new policy, the company provides an easy-to-use quote calculator on its website.
Customers who purchase any of Allianz’s AllTrips plans have access to the company’s concierge service, which helps policyholders book things such as ticket reservations, travel accommodations, dinner reservations, and tee times, as well as giving travel advice and recommendations.
When shopping for travel insurance, it’s important to find a company with a strong financial profile.
By purchasing insurance from a company with poor financial strength ratings, consumers run the risk of filing claims that the company is unable to pay out.
Policyholders might also be unable to receive a refund in the event that they need to cancel their insurance. Independent credit rating agencies such as Moody’s, A.M. Best, and Standard and Poor’s provide ratings that indicate financial stability for businesses such as insurance providers.
A.M. Best has assigned Allianz a financial rating of A+. This rating indicates the company’s strong financial performance and positive outlook. As the highest rating available, it puts Allianz ahead of many competitors when it comes to financial stability.
Allianz Travel Insurance Phone Number & Contact Information
- Homepage URL: https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com
- Provider Phone: 1-866-884-3556
- Headquarters Address: P.O. Box 71533, Richmond, VA 23255-1533
- Year Founded: 1890