International Medical Group, Inc. (IMG) offers travel medical insurance, international health insurance, and travel insurance plans.
IMG specializes in providing travel medical insurance to individuals, families, and groups who are traveling, studying abroad, or even living abroad.
Its customer service is multilingual and available 24/7.
It has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and offers the ability to insure as an individual, family, group, or all three, helping you to minimize coverage gaps.
|Coverage Options||Costs||Customer Reviews & Reputation||Customer Service Benefits||Financial Strength|
|IMG offers Medical plans for students studying abroad that fulfill visa requirements.||Costs vary greatly depending on trip length, destination, and medical needs.||The company boasts an A+ rating from the BBB.||The company provides 24/7 customer service with multilingual assistance.||IMG is underwritten by Sirius International Insurance Corporation.|
|All-purpose plans cover the whole spectrum of traveler's protection.||IMG offers plans for frequent travelers that can be renewed annually.||Most of the complaints on the BBB website were regarding billing problems.||Members may access MyIMGSM, the online support tool for help with managing their account.||Sirius received an A from A.M. Best for financial stability.|
Coverage & Plans
Though IMG has three coverage selections for trip insurance, it really shines when it comes to travel medical insurance.
IMG offers medical coverage for vacations or other trips as well as international health insurance.
The company is a great option to consider for groups, students, or others who will be working or studying abroad for extended periods of time.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption
- Accidental Death
Travel Insurance Plans
IMG’s iTravelInsured product line has three different policy options covering a number of potential financial losses including trip cancellation, baggage delay, and emergency medical evacuation.
These plans cover you throughout your entire trip, and some even provide Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) benefits.
iTravelInsured Travel Lite Insurance
- As IMG’s lowest-priced travel insurance program, the iTravelInsured Travel Lite insurance plan is designed for people who want to protect themselves against trip cancellations or trip interruptions.
- It also provides coverage for travel and baggage delay, as well as access to IMG’s non-insurance emergency travel assistance.
iTravelInsured Travel SE Insurance
- The Travel SE plan is IMG’s most popular travel insurance plan for both domestic and international destinations.
- This plan includes coverage for extra expenses your family could incur due to travel delays such as movie rentals, internet usage fees, and additional kennel fees for pets.
iTravelInsured Travel LX Insurance
- For travelers willing to pay a little extra for peace of mind, IMG’s Travel LX plan provides the highest level of benefits, including Cancel for Any Reason and Interruption for Any Reason coverage.
- This plan is a good choice for those considering adventurous activities or those planning a trip to remote or exotic locations.
|Covered Excuses||Travel Lite||Travel SE||Travel LX|
|Tour Operator Cancellation||yes||yes||yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Traveler||yes||yes||yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Non-traveling Family Member||yes||yes||yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Business Partner||yes||yes||yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Host||yes|
|Injury/Illness/Death of Host’s Family or Friends||yes|
|Natural Disaster at Destination||yes||yes||yes|
|Tour Operator/Airline/Cruise Line Ceases Operation||yes||yes||yes|
|Terrorism/Evacuation at Destination||yes||yes||yes|
|Home or Business Damaged||yes||yes||yes|
|Jury Duty/Court Appearance||yes||yes||yes|
|Victim of Crime Prior to Trip||yes||yes|
|Car Accident Prior to Trip||yes||yes||yes|
|Theft of Passport Prior to Trip||yes||yes||yes|
|CFAR Coverage (Cancel for any reason)||yes|
|Coverage||Travel Lite||Travel SE||Travel LX|
|Trip Cancellation||Up to $25,000 of the trip cost||Up to $50,000 of trip cost||Up to $100,000 of the trip cost|
|Cancel for Any Reason||Not available||Not available||Up to 75 percent of trip cost insured|
|Trip Interruption||125 percent of the trip cost||150 percent of the trip cost||150 percent of the trip cost|
|Interrupt for Any Reason||Not available||Not available||Up to 75 percent of the trip cost insured|
|Accident and Sickness Medical Expenses||$100,000||$150,000||$500,000|
|Emergency Evacuation, Medically Necessary Repatriation, and Repatriation of Remains||$250,000||$500,000||$1,000,000|
|Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation||Not available||Not available||$50,000|
|Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)||Not available||$25,000||$100,000|
|Air Flight Only AD&D||Not available||Not available||Not available|
|Baggage and Personal Effects||$750||$1,500||$2,500|
|Baggage Delay||$150 (after an initial delay of more than 24 hours)||$250 (after an initial delay of more than 12 hours)||$500 (after an initial delay of 12 hours)|
|Change Fee Coverage||Not available||$150||$300|
|Travel Delay||$500 ($125 per day after an initial delay of 12 hours)||Travel Delay: $500 ($125 per day after an initial delay of 12 hours)|
Internet Usage Fees: $50
Overnight Stay Movie Rental: $15
Additional Cat or Dog Kennel Expenses: $300 ($100 per Day)
|$1,000 ($250 per day after an initial delay of 6 hours)|
|Missed Connection||Not available||$500 (after an initial delay of 6 hours)||$500 (after an initial delay of 3 hours)|
|Itinerary Change||Not available||Not available||Not available|
|Reimbursement of Miles or Rewards Points||Not available||$75||$75|
|Rental Car Damage||Not available||$40,000 (optional benefit)||$40,000|
Medical Insurance Plans
IMG offers a variety of medical insurance plans that cover visits to doctors, hospitals, or other licensed providers, including dentists.
In the event of a severe health issue, you may need emergency medical coverage to insure things such as evacuation and repatriation.
Medical coverage is even available for those with preexisting conditions, and there is no age limit for coverage.
Patriot Travel Medical Insurance
- IMG’s most popular plan, it provides coverage for individuals, families, and groups who need temporary medical insurance while traveling for business or pleasure anywhere outside of their home country.
Patriot America Plus
- This plan is for non-U.S. residents who need temporary medical coverage when traveling to the United States for a minimum of five days.
- There are a wide variety of plan limits and deductible options.
Patriot Exchange Program
- As its name indicates, this plan is specifically designed for students or groups studying abroad.
- IMG states that most plan options are designed to meet the U.S. J1 and J2 visa travel insurance requirements.
- This plan for non-U.S. citizens offers a selection of scheduled benefits for those traveling or temporarily living outside their home country for at least five days.
- It can be renewed for up to 24 months.
Patriot Platinum Travel Medical Insurance
- This IMG medical travel insurance plan provides maximum coverage for short-term trips and vacations.
- It allows you to choose from an extensive range of deductibles and maximum limits and includes exclusive access to IMG’s Global Concierge and Assistance Services.
Global Mission Medical Insurance
- Global Mission medical insurance from IMG is a long-term plan that can be renewed each year and provides worldwide medical insurance coverage specifically for missionaries.
Student Health Advantage
- This plan is for individual or groups of five or more students participating in sponsored, study abroad programs who need a comprehensive plan that can be renewed yearly.
- IMG claims that this plan meets student visa requirements and includes benefits for maternity, mental health, organized sports, and international emergency care.
Outreach Travel Mission Advantage
- This plan is specifically designed for U.S. citizens and non-U.S. nationals who need short-term medical insurance while traveling for international outreach anywhere outside of their home country.
GlobeHopper Senior Travel Medical Insurance
- This plan is for U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents over the age of 65 and who need temporary medical insurance for trips outside the United States.
- It has both single-trip and multi-trip coverage options.
Student Health Advantage Platinum
- This plan is for individuals and groups of five or more students or scholars that participate in sponsored study abroad programs and who need an annually-renewable plan.
- It meets student visa requirements and includes maternity, mental health, organized sports, and international emergency care benefits.
- For those who take multiple trips abroad each year, the Patriot Multi-Trip plan could be a cost-effective option.
- Coverage choices are available for both U.S. citizens and non-citizens.
Though it can be challenging when you are tallying up expenses for your upcoming vacation, it’s wise to plan for the cost of travel insurance.
When programming your trip, you should budget between four to eight percent of the total cost of the trip for travel insurance.
The price is generally based on three factors: the length of the trip, the destination, and the age of the policyholder.
In general, longer trips cost more than shorter ones, international destinations are more expensive to cover than domestic ones, and older policyholders will usually pay more than younger ones.
IMG also offers annual or renewable plans for frequent travelers and, for most plans, dependents under the age of 18 are covered along with their parents.
Check out the IMG website for a quote based on your specific details.
If for some reason you don’t wind up needing IMG’s travel insurance, you may submit a cancellation request and receive a full refund within ten days of the effective date of your coverage.
Customer Reviews & Reputation
When it comes to IMG travel insurance’s reputation, reviews are somewhat mixed.
While IMG has earned an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), customer reviews on the BBB website average less than two out of five stars.
However, IMG has been accredited by the BBB since 2005, and only has 15 customer complaints lodged against it within the past three years. Most of the complaints are categorized as billing issues.
Trustpilot gives IMG three out of five stars, which is an average score.
As is typical for insurance companies, many of the negative reviews come from customers who had billing or coverage disputes.
Customer Assistance Services
IMG prides itself on its 24/7 customer service and multilingual staff.
The IMG website lets you browse through policy options so you can choose what plan works best for you, your family, or your group.
The website also lets you build an instant quote, compare policies, and buy your choice of packages online.
IMG’s online support service, MyIMGSM, provides online access to local providers, explanation of benefits, claims status, ID cards, and certificate documents.
There is a paperless submission option for claims, though faxing or mailing is also permitted.
IMG also offers a convenient mobile app.
IMG Financial Stability
When you decide to purchase insurance, you want to know the company is reliable.
To that end, IMG has the financial stability of an established international insurance company, providing peace of mind for the consumer.
IMG is underwritten by Sirius International Insurance Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of CM International Holding Pte. Ltd, which is rated A (excellent) by A.M. Best and A- by Standard & Poor’s.
These high ratings should make potential purchasers very comfortable.
Phone Number and Contact Information
Homepage URL: https://www.imglobal.com
Company Phone: 1-800-428-4664
Headquarters Address: 2960 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208-4715
Year Founded: 1989
Best Alternatives to IMG Travel Insurance
Not satisfied with what IMG has to offer? These companies provide great travel insurance alternatives:*While we make every effort to keep our site updated, please be aware that "timely" information on this page, such as quote estimates, or pertinent details about companies, may only be accurate as of its last edit day. Huntley Wealth & Insurance Services and its representatives do not give legal or tax advice. Please consult your own legal or tax adviser.