AIG Direct Life Insurance Company established a vision in 1995.
The organization wanted to focus on providing affordable life insurance that would help American families create more secure futures.
To that end, the national organization has worked with more than six million customers over the years.
About AIG Direct Life Insurance
AIG Direct operates as part of AIG, one of the largest insurance brands in the world, bringing a blend of global leadership with the nuanced, highly personal service that AIG Direct prides itself on.
In that vein, AIG Direct emphasizes its process of having insurance agents work closely with customers to find the right service fit that aligns with a person’s budget and needs.
The organization does not underwrite its own policies, but instead operates through agents who represent insurance companies.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Quotes and Application Process
Because it’s backed by a large global insurance brand, AIG Direct has the resources to offer a robust online solution alongside its highly personalized insurance sales model.
Applicants can get a quote online by specifying how much coverage they want, their birthday, gender, height, weight, and general personal information (name, phone number, etc.). You don’t need to submit your Social Security Number for an online quote.
AIG Direct also lets you call or visit an office for a quote, and its emphasis on having customers work with agents for consulting and assistance means that while you may get an initial quote online, you’ll end up having some sort of direct, personal interaction before you settle on a plan.
While applying for life insurance can be tricky due to the variety of coverage options available, AIG Direct provides a variety of online resources, including guides, blog articles, cost calculators, and similar tools that can help you understand what you’re getting into and make it easier to make a decision.
Like most insurers, the process can become more complicated if you engage in activities that would typically be considered risky behaviors, such as smoking or riding a motorcycle, but these types of lifestyle factors are typically issues that would impact the cost of your plan, not disqualify you from getting insured.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Policies
AIG Life Insurance provides clients with access to a wide range of life insurance policies, creating opportunities for those seeking coverage for diverse reasons.
You can find information about each policy type and how to apply for it on the AIG Direct website, but here’s a quick rundown to get you started:
- Term Life Insurance Coverage: A term life insurance policy allows customers to purchase insurance for a set period of time. Usually sold at five-year increments with terms ranging from 10 to 30 years, the policy runs for the period of the term and, if it is not used during the time, the policyholder is paid the face value of the fund. This is different from other policies where the cash put into the coverage accrues value over time, but term life is typically much more affordable than those types of options.
- Quality of Life Insurance Coverage: This policy is designed to pay out prior to an individual’s death in order to help that person maintain their quality of life in the event of a medical emergency. Essentially, it pays living benefits to those who are insured and have been diagnosed with a chronic, critical, or terminal illness, saving them from having to deal with the full costs of the illness.
- Universal Life Insurance Coverage: As a form of permanent life insurance, universal policies provide coverage without any sort of term. Once you’re insured, you’re covered. But what if your needs change over time? Universal life insurance policies are designed for more flexibility and allow for coverage changes upon approval from the provider. What’s more, these plans accrue cash value over their lifetime and the benefits are delivered without taxes.
- Whole Life Insurance Coverage: Like universal insurance, whole life coverage is permanent, covering individuals for their entire lives. Once the plan is set up, you’re insured unless you stop paying your premiums on time. Beyond its permanence, whole life insurance policies stand out because the death benefits are not taxed and you can borrow against the cash value of the policy if you need to.
- Guaranteed Issue Whole Life Insurance Coverage: In many ways, guaranteed issue coverage works like whole life insurance. You sign up, you pay the premiums, and you’re insured. The difference is that whole life requires approval and delivers cash value on top of the coverage. Guaranteed issue coverage is built for seniors who may not be approved for a typical whole life plan, aren’t concerned about building the long-term cash value, and want a simple form of coverage with robust benefits. If you’re worried you can’t get coverage, it’s a great option for you.
- Accidental Death Insurance Coverage: If you choose this insurance option, you don’t have to undergo a medical exam and approval is guaranteed if you meet basic requirements. However, the coverage only pays out in the event that you die in an accident. This form of insurance can help loved ones handle funeral costs, medical bills, and similar expenses that may result from accidental death.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Riders
Riders are coverage options that you can add to an existing life insurance plan to supplement what it offers based on a specific need.
A few riders AIG Direct highlights on its website include:
- Child Rider: Adding to your family can lead to a shift in what you’re looking for in a life insurance policy. The child rider provides coverage for your child and builds the option into your existing life insurance plan.
- Terminal Illness Rider: Being struck by a terminal illness is such a life-changing event that it can have a dramatic impact on your life insurance needs. The terminal illness rider lets you adjust your plan based on these circumstances, giving you a one-time payment from your death benefit with the only cost being an administrative fee that, as of May 31, 2019, was listed by AIG Direct as a maximum of $250.
- Accidental Death Rider: This rider works just like the accidental death insurance mentioned earlier, except that it functions as an add-on to an existing life insurance policy.
- Waiver of Premium Rider: This rider is designed to allow individuals facing total disability to waive their premium, but still maintain the benefits they’ve accrued in their life insurance policy. It can only be triggered if the face value of the insurance coverage is equal to or exceeds $100,000, and it must be added to policies from the outset to be an option down the line.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Discounts
Specific discounts can vary substantially depending on an individual’s situation.
AIG Direct doesn’t detail available discounts readily on its website, but does offer the guidance that individuals seeking coverage should talk to their agents about possible ways to save money.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Financial Strength
- Underwriter: n/a
- Marketshare: n/a
- Premiums Written: more than 6 million
- Standard & Poor’s Financial Rating: n/a
- Moody’s Financial Rating: n/a
- AM Best Financial Rating: AIG is affirmed by AM Best with a Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating that extends to its subsidiaries
Financial strength is integral to the trustworthiness of an insurance company. Insurance isn’t helpful if the firm can’t pay out when you need the money. However, various rating agencies use different methods to measure the financial strength of insurance brands, and AIG Direct, as a subsidiary that doesn’t underwrite its own plans, is particularly difficult to evaluate.
As you seek insurance, you may want to ask about who is actually underwriting your plan and research that company’s financial ability to support your needs through a quick search via Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, or AM Best.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Reviews and Customer Service
AIG Direct has a positive reputation in the industry. Its own website is littered with five-star reviews. This isn’t just a few highlighted reviews either.
AIG Direct had eKomi, The Feedback Company run a survey of customer reviews to better understand client satisfaction. The study reached more than 1,880 AIG Direct customers and the average review score was 4.3 stars out of 5.
Just 9.46% of feedback was negative while almost 83% was positive. Furthermore, 225 of the customer reviews analyzed were completed within the 12 months prior to April 29, 2019.
On top of all this, the BBB gave the insurance provider an A+ rating and full accreditation. It’s also our top-rated life insurance company.
AIG Direct Life Insurance Company Phone Number & Contact Information
- Homepage URL: https://www.aigdirect.com/
- Company Phone: 858-309-3000
- Headquarters Address: 9640 Granite Ridge Drive, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92123