Finding a great insurance policy with a stable insurance company, whether it’s life, home, auto, or any other niche insurance, can be difficult and overwhelming.
Esurance insurance may be a great option. It is a multi-insurance platform, about to find multiple types of insurance quotes that best fit your budget and lifestyle. This is a company that prides itself on reasonable prices, customer satisfaction, and GREAT features. Sounds pretty darned good if you ask me.
But, are they the right insurer for YOUR particular circumstances?
Well, I’ve got some info! Take a seat and read my thoughts on Esurance right now.
Table of Contents:
The main selling point of Esurance is its ability to handle your insurance policy 100% online. A clean and simple process, and if you do happen to need customer service, they try to make it a seamless experience.
Unlike some of the more entrenched insurance providers, Esurance is a relatively new kid on the block.
This insurer started in 1999 and was one of the FIRST companies to take advantage of the internet! Selling policies directly to clients online was a cutting-edge approach back then, so they are pioneers!
This tech-based company was, not surprisingly, launched in San Francisco.
In 2004, Esurance also broke new ground by giving same-sex couples discounts on multiple car insurance. In fact, this progressive company offers multiple car discounts to anyone living together regardless of their relationship
As a company, Esurance has been booming since the late 1990s. The best news? Their financial strength hasn’t wavered since launch.
So, why is this so important? It’s a strong indication that they will be able to make good on claims if and when you have to make one.
Which, after all, IS the reason you’re getting insurance in the first place! RIGHT?
A.M. Best gave Esurance an A+ (Superior) financial strength rating, which is one of the things I like most about this company.
Also, Esurance is backed by its parent company, Allstate, which means you’re in good hands.
Let’s face it, making an insurance claim usually occurs during a stressful situation. This means more people are likely to share their negative stories rather than their positive ones while leaving customer reviews.
That being said, when researching Esurance reviews, I was definitely left with the feeling that there are some improvements that could be made. Esurance’s website, www.esurance.com, had far more one and two-star reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com than I would have liked.
To be fair and give them their due, this isn’t the whole story. Nerd Wallet, using a 2019 J. D. Power study, gives Esurance 4 out of 5 stars for their Auto Insurance and I respect their opinion.
They do, however, mention the complaints too. It seems that their auto insurance policies fare better than their home insurance policies.
Esurance has another strength – they offer their policyholders NUMEROUS opportunities for insurance discounts.
There are plenty of policy-wide discounts that apply to their products as well as discounts that are specific to a particular offering.
I’m going to share their vast array of policy-wide discounts right now, saving the specific discounts for the relevant sections for later.
Let’s take a look at the MANY ways you can save money on your Esurance premiums!
- Fast 5 Discount: 5% off your first-term premium
- Multi-Policy Discount: applied when you get multiple policies through Esurance (i.e. homeowners and car insurance)
- Paid-in-Full Discount: get up to 10% off your premium when you pay upfront for your policy
- Switch & Save Discount: if you switch to Esurance from another company save 5% off your premium for two terms
- Claim-Free Discount: maintain your Esurance policy for 5+ years without filing a claim and you may qualify for 10-25% off your premium
- Pac-12 Discount: If you’re an alum of a Pac-12 school, you’ll be rewarded with up to 15% off your premium
- Preferred Buyer Discount: consistently pay your premiums on time and save money
- Loyal Customer Discount: renew your Esurance policy and get rewarded
Esurance Auto Insurance
Esurance has an extensive array of customizable offerings.
I’m going to start with their car insurance because this is what they are best known for:
Esurance Automobile Insurance rates are broken down into three distinct areas:
Hmmm – if you are unfamiliar with car insurance – this may be confusing.
But Esurance knows that insurance isn’t particularly straightforward. That’s why they provide CoverageMyWay to help walk you through your options to make sure you get the best possible coverage.
This pays for medical intervention for you and anyone driving with you should it be needed. Here are two coverage options for your policy:
- Medical Payments Coverage: This coverage helps to pay for medical and funeral expenses for you and other drivers covered should the money be needed. It also covers you if you’re hit by an oncoming car as a pedestrian or a cyclist.
- Personal Injury Protection: This complicated coverage varies by state. It covers medical expenses for you and your passengers regardless of who is at fault. Examples of things that would be covered are hospitalization, rehab & possibly lost wages.
Coverage for Your Vehicle
This coverage protects your actual vehicle. And, keeping on-brand with their technical pioneering, you can report any claims on your coverage through their Esurance mobile.
Here are more optional coverages available for Esurance policyholders:
- Comprehensive Coverage: This helps pay for repairs or replacement if your vehicle is damaged by vandalism, fire, theft, natural disaster, or a fallen tree/branch.
- Collision Coverage: This coverage is designed to help you repair or replace your car after an accident.
- Emergency Roadside Services Coverage: This covers roadside services and towing to repair shops if your car is in need of repair.
- Rental Car Coverage: This helps pay for a rental car while your vehicle is being fixed.
- Loan/Lease Gap Coverage: If your car is totaled while you still owe money to your financing or leasing company, you may owe more than what your depreciated car is actually worth – this policy helps bridge the gap between the actual cash value of your vehicle and what you still owe.
- Bodily Injury & Property Damage: if you are liable for an accident, this will help pay for medical expenses and property damage.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Liability: If you’re involved in an accident where the at-fault driver is not properly insured, Esurance will help pay the costs.
NOTE: In no-fault states, insured drivers are typically compensated for medical expenses regardless of who caused the accident.
But you still require bodily injury coverage in these states. If the injuries are severe enough, the driver that caused the accident may be sued by the injured party. This is when bodily injury coverage comes in handy. It can help cover your liability expenses.
As for property damage liability, there is no difference in no-fault states. The driver who caused the accident is responsible for the damage caused.
- Emergency Roadside Assistance: You can’t plan accidents and Esurance Car Insurance will be there for you 24/7!
- Customized Parts & Equipment Coverage: $4K in extra coverage to protect additions you’ve made to the value of your cars such as GPS systems and Spoilers
- ShareSmart Coverage: Are you moonlighting for Uber or Lyft? Then this additional coverage is for you!
- Comprehensive Coverage: Protects you from vandalism, theft, natural disasters & more
Esurance Additional Vehicle Protection
- Esurance Mexican Auto Insurance: If you’re heading south of the border with your vehicle, you can get short or long-term protection with this policy
- Esurance Classic Car Insurance: Insurance protection for classic cars
- Esurance Commercial Auto Insurance: Insurance for cars or trucks used for commercial purposes
- Esurance Motorcycle Insurance: Insurance protection for motorcycles
- Esurance ATV Insurance: Four-wheeling rugged terrain comes with great risk – luckily, Esurance covers you
- Esurance Snowmobile Insurance: Protect you AND your snowmobile
- Esurance RV Insurance: Feel better about putting miles on your recreational vehicle by insuring it
- Esurance Trailer Travel Insurance: Cover you, your vehicle, and your valuables with travel trailer insurance
- Esurance Golf Cart Insurance: Accidents on the golf course are not uncommon – perfect for golfers
- Esurance Boat Insurance: Insurance for boats and personal watercraft
- Esurance Scooter Insurance: Affordable insurance designed for scooters and mopeds
- Esurance Segway Insurance: Get your two-wheeled friend insurance in a matter of minutes through Esurance’s website
As you can see Esurance Car Insurance has some PRETTY good policy-wide discounts. Thankfully, their vehicular offerings follow suit.
They sure like to reward their safe driving policyholders!
- Defensive Driver Discount: If you’re 50 and older and completed a defensive driving class, save up to 10% on your premiums
- Good Driver Discount: Save 30-40% if you have a clean driving history for 3 years or more
- Good Student Discount: If you maintain a GPA of at least 3.0, you may be able to save up to 10% on your premium
- Online Shopper Discount: for Illinois, Utah, and Virginia drivers
- Drivesense: This mobile app, currently allowed in 35 states, monitors your driving habits such as hard braking, time of day you drive, and speed. You receive a sign-up discount and if 50 trips are monitored during your policy coverage, Esurance will adjust your car insurance rates as needed.
The Esurance savings don’t stop there. Drivers are rewarded, but this company also applies discounts if your car meets specific requirements.
- Multi-Car Discount: Save money when you insure more than one car
- Anti-Theft Discount: Qualify for this discount if your vehicle has protection against theft, such as a car alarm or OnStar
- Safety Device Discount: Get this discount if your vehicle has automatic seat belts or manufacturer-installed airbags
- Anti-Lock Brake Discount: Save 5% on certain coverages when you insure a car that has antilock brakes.
- Emergency Road Assistance Discount: purchase roadside assistance from a different provider (i.e. AAA) and you’ll qualify for up to 5% off your premium
Esurance Homeowners Insurance
Esurance provides comprehensive homeowners coverage to protect the following:
- Your house and any other structures on your property
- Personal belongings
- Liability for injuries that take place on your property or that you are responsible for
Policies are customizable and can be tailor-made to suit your needs.
Esurance Standard Homeowners Policy (HO-3)
Esurance’s standard homeowner’s policy (H0-3) protects your home and property from damage due to:
- The weight of ice, sleet, or snow
- Falling objects (i.e. tree branch)
- Freezing of plumbing and other systems
If you’re looking for some extra protection, Esurance has you covered. You can select any of the options listed below:
Additional Coverage Options Offered
- Dwelling Protection: Covers damage to your house or connected structures from disasters like hail, explosions, vehicles, wind, and more
- Other Structures Protection: Insure unattached structures on your property
- Additional Living Expense Coverage: If you’re forced to temporarily relocate, this policy will help cover those costs
- Water Back-Up Coverage: Differs from flood damage; this policy helps repair issues caused by water that comes from the ground up
- Personal Property Insurance: Covers personal belongings in your house or on the road
- Family Liability Protection: Protects you from legal expenses if you’re liable for damage or injury
- Guest Medical Protection: Up to $5,000 in coverage to help pay medical bills for injured guests on your property
- Fire Department Charges Coverage: If your fire department charges you a fee, this covers you up to $5,500
- Building Codes Coverage: If newer building codes force you to pay for expensive rebuilding, this coverage will pay the difference in cost
- Increased Building Structure Coverage: Extra dwelling protection for potentially extreme cases where standard coverage limits just won’t cut it
- Identity Theft Expense Coverage: Helps pay for you to get your identity restored
- Fair Rental Income Protection: Covers lost revenue if a place that you rent out is left uninhabitable
- Home Day Care Coverage: Covers you if you are liable for medical bills if you run an in-home daycare
- Extended Premises: Protects you from liability if you run a 2, 3, or 4 unit building and a tenant is injured
Well, it looks like Esurance has a great homeowners offering too. I’m really enjoying the selection of products, and once again they are adding a plethora of discounts to the mix.
- New Home Discount: Available if you purchase an Esurance policy for a newly constructed home or within 12 months of a new home purchase
- Future Effective Date Discount: set the effective date of your homeowners policy for a week AFTER you buy your policy
- DIY Home Inspection Discount: Download their app and complete a simple easy home inspection within the first 20 days of your policy and you’ll save a quick 50 bucks
- Home Safety Features Discount: Get the discount by installing a burglar alarm, water safety system, or smoke alarm in your home
- Claim-Free Discount: Go at least a year without filing a claim and start saving
- Welcome Home Discount: qualify for this just by choosing Esurance – this discount is applied for the first 2 years of your policy
- Storm Shutter Discount: Qualify for this money-saver by installing storm shutters
- Hail Resistant Roof Discount: Cut down on your premium if you eliminate the risk of hail damage to your roof
- Smoke-Free Discount: Get a discount when your household is full of nonsmokers
Esurance Renters Insurance
If you’re a renter, you can rest easy knowing that your belongings are protected! All policies are different but they generally cover:
- Personal Property: This coverage helps you replace belongings after a covered incident
- Personal Liability: If someone is injured on your property this provides liability coverage for legal costs
- Medical Payments: Helps to pay medical expenses up to a certain limit if someone is injured on your property
- Property Damage to Others: Coverage wherever you go if you accidentally break or damage someone else’s property, you’re protected
- Additional Living Expenses: This covers your expenses for living elsewhere while your rental is out of commission
Additional Rental Coverage:
- Replacement Cost Coverage: Allows you to replace your belongings at the current market value
- Sewer or Drain Backup Coverage: A sewer backup can cause a LOT of damage
- Earthquake Coverage: If you live on a fault line you should consider this additional coverage
- Insurance Riders: For specific items of value you want to protect
- Flood Insurance: Not typically covered in a standard renters policy
Discounts aren’t offered in abundance as this type of insurance is already VERY inexpensive. Some states do however have:
- Renters Plus Discount: Buy a renters policy with Esurance and add on car insurance to qualify for this substantial discount
Esurance Condo Insurance (HO6)
Condo insurance is a specialized coverage that differs from a traditional Homeowner policy.
Also known as H06 insurance, a condo policy protects you financially from loss, damage, theft, and unforeseen expenses. So let’s take a look at what your condo insurance typically covers.
Hint: The gaps left by your HOA policy!
- Fire or lightning
- Windstorm or hail
- Riot or civil commotion
- Impact from vehicles
- Falling objects
- Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
- Collapse of a building or any part of a building
Why Do You Need Condo Insurance?
As I mentioned above, your homeowner’s policy leaves gaps when you own a condo. You also have shared duties and obligations you may not have thought about when you signed on the dotted line.
A Condo Policy Protects:
- Personal Belongings: Replace items at their current value, without factoring in depreciation
- Interior Structure: Flooring, inner walls, countertops, and fixtures are your responsibility and not typically covered under HOA
- Improvements: Your HOA insurance won’t increase coverage if you make improvements – don’t be underinsured!
- Liability: Cover yourself just in case someone is injured in your home
- Loss Assessment: Protect yourself from damages that the condo association may hold you responsible for
- Identity Theft: Cover yourself for the expense of restoring your identity
- Scheduled Property: Protect yourself from the loss of personal property anywhere in the world
- Loss of Use: Provides living expenses if you can’t stay in your condo due to emergency circumstances
Condo Owner Specific Discounts
- Age of construction discount: Save money on your policy simply based on when the building or complex was built
- Roof shape discount: Yep! Depending on where you live
- Indoor sprinkler system discount: A sprinkler system makes your condo safer from fire
- Central fire alarm discount: Do you have a personal fire alarm system – if so you could save cash
- Paid-in-full discount: If you’ve got the cash, pay all your premiums up front and save
- Secured community discount: A gated community with a security system is safer and could lower your premiums
- Central burglar alarm discount: Protects you and your valuables and cuts your premiums
- 55+ discount: Sometimes getting older lowers your outgoing expenses
- Wind resistant home features discount: Does your house have wind resistant features? It’s another way to save some money
Esurance Life Insurance Products
Is there Esurance Life Insurance? Yep – they list life insurance as one of their products, but when I inquired, I was actually rerouted to Ladder.
This isn’t uncommon in the life insurance industry – but you should know upfront what company you are dealing with.
The good news is Ladder offers instant results, no upselling, flexibility, and trustworthy options.
Esurance Quote (I really mean Ladder Life)
Obtaining an Esurance Life Insurance quote was a beautifully painless process.
I filled out a questionnaire asking very basic information such as name, address, phone number & email address.
They promise a quote within 5 minutes and VOILA–so it happened! The company I was referred to was Fidelity Life.
Which, by the way, was NOT the least expensive option open to me. Just the one they recommend, based on the limited information I submitted.
This is where I have to pipe in. While I think instant rates are a GREAT tool to find out some basic information about the potential cost of your premiums – it’s just a guesstimate!
The thing is, you have to actually qualify for the health rating they ascribed to you during the instant Esurance quote process. That’s all well and good but each and every company looks at medical conditions differently.
Even IF you think you have no medical issues an exam may reveal otherwise.
Other Esurance Products
Esurance really does cover EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink.
- Esurance Health Insurance: Choose from a variety of health plans and customize your coverage – all from your computer
- Esurance Umbrella Insurance: Protect your assets further with umbrella insurance – you won’t be left with gaps
- Esurance Pet Insurance: Get those expensive vet bills covered!
- Esurance Phone Insurance: If you lose your phone often this could be the coverage for you
- Esurance Business Insurance: Protect yourself and your business
- Esurance Canadian Insurance: Do you live in Canada? Well, you can still purchase an Esurance policy! Check it out.
- Esurance Flood Insurance: Most policies do NOT cover floods – BUT it’s THE most common natural disaster
Esurance is an awesome and innovative company. So let’s start with their strengths:
- Online Convenience
- Financially stable
- Vast selection of insurance coverage
- An incredible array of discounts
But please don’t forget – this isn’t the whole story! More on the things you need to look out for later!
Purchasing Insurance Online Made Simple
Esurance launched when the internet was just beginning to boom.
You remember the days when it was hip to put an ‘e’ in front of everything: email, eBay, Esurance…
While most insurance companies now offer online services like filing a claim or even buying a policy, Esurance was one of the first.
From buying a policy to filing a claim 24/7, to getting an instant Esurance quote, few companies can compete with the ease and efficiency of Esurance’s website.
If you’re more comfortable dealing with your insurance needs online this is a GREAT company for you.
Yep! Rest assured your money is safe and sound with Esurance – plus they are also backed up by Allstate. You can check this box!
Vast Array of Insurance Products
If you’re looking to cover it – chances are this company has the product you need. Whether you want Esurance health insurance, golf cart insurance, homeowners insurance, or EVEN life insurance – they have a policy for you.
This can also complicate issues. Although I love their selection – you have to wonder if they have in-depth knowledge of each and every product they sell. I have a tendency to appreciate companies that specialize in their particular areas.
Discounts, Discounts & More Discounts
Yep – Esurance offers a ton of discounts. This is another reason their rates are affordable. Even if they don’t initially appear to be the cheapest company on the block there are ways to save cash.
All insurers have areas where they can improve and Esurance is no different.
- Esurance customer service could use improvement
- If you have complex needs this isn’t the insurer for you.
- Car & Homeowners quotes need a lot of personal information
- Their life insurance offering seems to be an afterthought and is actually provided by Ladder
Esurance Customer Service
I’m on the fence about this one. There are definitely people out there that have had GREAT experiences with Esurance and in fact, NerdWallet recommends them and states that their complaints are just over the median range for auto insurance and more than median for home insurance – so it’s a mixed bag for them too. It seems a good deal of the negative reviews stem from frustration with adjusters during auto claims.
BUT ConsumerAffairs.com gives them a mere 2 stars. So I would say they absolutely could use some improvement in this area.
Complex Insurance Needs
Like every insurance company, Esurance has a few weak spots. Now, the whole online thing may sound great, and, in many ways, it is but that doesn’t mean Esurance is the right choice for people with more complex needs.
In other words, if you’re just looking for a meat and potatoes type policy, Esurance is perfect, but if you have specific needs, it can be challenging to handle them on a website.
Plus, while Esurance offers a ton of products, many of them are underwritten by other companies, which means your policies aren’t exactly under one roof!
Quotes for Car and Home Insurance
This process isn’t as easy as I would like it to be. But I wonder if there is a streamlined way to get instant quotes for car and automobile insurance EVER?
The nature of the beast seems to require more input. That said, if you don’t want to share a lot of personal info online – this is not the company for you.
Life Insurance Seems Like an Afterthought
Being a life insurance agent, I HIGHLY recommend dealing with a company that specializes in life insurance.
At the end of the day, this is a BIG purchase and a long term relationship. Why wouldn’t you deal with a company that knows all the ins and outs of the products they are selling.
Is Esurance For You?
Insurance is a VERY personalized product. No matter what TYPE of insurance you are talking about – my advice is to find independent advice.
Sure, go ahead and dig up an Esurance quote – but then comparison shop with other companies such as State Farm and Geico to name a few. This is my honest opinion no matter which insurer you are talking about.*While we make every effort to keep our site updated, please be aware that "timely" information on this page, such as quote estimates, or pertinent details about companies, may only be accurate as of its last edit day. Huntley Wealth & Insurance Services and its representatives do not give legal or tax advice. Please consult your own legal or tax adviser.