California Casualty Insurance Company Review
The California Casualty Insurance company sells coverage specially crafted for teachers, police officers, firefighters, and nurses. Although prices tend to be higher than the national average, California Casualty reviews are generally positive.
Free Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Apr 24, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
- California Casualty offers over a dozen insurance products in all states except six
- This company sells insurance to teachers, nurses, firefighters, and law enforcement officers
- Customers generally leave positive reviews, and the Better Business Bureau gives them an A+
Some companies focus on selling a specific type of insurance to hone their process and offer a streamlined product. Others cast a wide net of products so they can be a one-stop-shop for their customers.
California Casualty is one of the latter. Catering exclusively to teachers, firefighters, police officers, and nurses, California Casualty wants to celebrate the people who support their communities. With over a dozen products ranging from classic car insurance to snowmobile coverage, it has something for everyone.
You can explore what California Casualty has to offer below. If this company seems like a good fit for your needs, you can compare quotes with other companies to ensure you get the best rates possible.
What is California Casualty Insurance company?
Founded in 1914, California Casualty’s name is a little misleading. It sells insurance products throughout the U.S. except for in Washington, New York, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Michigan, and Alaska.
California Casualty has a specific mission of selling insurance. It wants to protect people that serve their local communities. To that end, California Casualty sells exclusively to firefighters, law enforcement officers, nurses, and educators.
This California-based company sells a variety of insurance products, which you can learn about below.
California Casualty Car Insurance
As a car insurance provider, you can buy the standard coverage products found by most competitors. These include:
- Liability. Liability insurance covers damage you cause to other people and property. Most states require a minimum amount of liability coverage before you can legally drive.
- Collision. While liability covers damage you cause to other people, collision covers damage done to your car in an accident. Collision covers you no matter who causes the accident.
- Comprehensive. This coverage protects your vehicle from damage outside of accidents. This includes damage from fire, weather, theft, vandalism, and animal contact.
- Underinsured/underinsured motorist. While most states require drivers to carry insurance, not all drivers obey the law. Uninsured/underinsured motorist protects you from drivers with inadequate insurance.
- Medical payments. Being injured in a car accident comes with large medical bills. If you purchase medical payments coverage, your insurance will help pay for it.
While these are the standard types of insurance, California Casualty offers several add-on options to increase the value of your policy. They have add-ons crafted specifically for community servants, especially for firefighters and police officers. These include:
- Turnout gear and firearms coverage. If your firefighting or law enforcement gear is stolen, damaged, or destroyed in your vehicle, California Casualty will repair or replace it.
- Pet injury. As long as the incident is covered, California Casualty will help pay for vet bills if your pet is injured.
- Custom or non-factory equipment. People often enjoy upgrading or customizing their cars, but insurance usually doesn’t cover custom parts. However, this feature will cover non-factory parts.
- GAP coverage. If you total a new car, you might owe more on your loan than the car is worth. GAP coverage pays the difference between your loan and the value of your vehicle.
In the spirit of celebrating community servants, California Casualty also offers sabbatical return benefits and a fallen hero/fallen survivor benefit.
California Casualty Home Insurance
For educators, nurses, firefighters, and police officers, California Casualty might be the best home insurance option out there.
California Casualty offers the usual suite of insurance options, including:
- Dwelling. This portion of your policy protects the physical structure of your home, including the walls, roof, and foundation. It also covers freestanding structures like garages and fences.
- Liability. If a guest is injured on your property, they can sue you if you’re responsible for the incident. Liability helps pay for your legal fees if you are sued.
- Personal property. There’s a lot more that makes your house a home than walls and a roof. Personal belongings such as appliances, furniture, and even clothing can be replaced through your insurance.
- Living expenses. If your home is damaged to the point it’s unlivable, California Casualty will reimburse you for lodging and food costs while you wait for repairs.
As with its car insurance, California Casualty offers several add-ons meant to celebrate the work of community servants. These include:
- Off-duty weapons theft. If your personally-owned off-duty weapons are stolen from your property, you can get up to $5,000 to replace them.
- Fallen hero/fallen officer survivor. If a firefighter or police officer dies in the line of duty, their family will receive a death benefit.
- School violence death survivor. With increased violence on American campuses, an educator’s family will receive a death benefit if they are killed in an attack during school hours.
California Casualty also covers lost luggage, debit or credit card fraud, personal property for educators, and educators excess liability.
Other Types of Insurance From California Casualty
Insurance is one of the best things you can get to protect the things that matter in your life. With that in mind, California Casualty offers a long list of insurance products:
- Motorcycle. Similar to standard auto policies, motorcycle insurance is tailored with bikes in mind. Most states require motorcycle insurance to drive.
- Mexico travel. If you plan on driving to Mexico, your American insurance won’t work south of the border. California Casualty works directly with Mexican insurance agencies to ensure you have the coverage you need.
- Condo. Condo owners need protection similar to homeowners, but there are unique differences that this plan accounts for.
- Classic car. Unlike modern cars, classic cars are an investment, and your insurance policy should protect them as such.
- Snowmobile. They may be recreational vehicles to most, but California Casualty takes their protection seriously. You can find many of the same types of coverage for snowmobiles as you would with a car.
- Personal umbrella. If your liability insurance runs out before your legal bills are paid, you’ll be stuck with the bill. However, a personal umbrella plan takes over after liability ends to cover legal costs.
- Boat. California Casualty’s boat insurance protects the watercraft and your guests.
- Renters. You don’t have to own a home to get protection for your belongings. Renters insurance protects your personal property and is usually highly affordable.
This is a small selection of the insurance options you can purchase through California Casualty. You can learn more about their coverage options by speaking with an agent.
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
How much does California Casualty cost?
Drivers should expect to pay more for coverage through California Casualty. The company embraces its steeper prices with the philosophy that peace of mind is worth the cost.
Although California Casualty prices are about 30% higher than the national average, it does offer a lot of discounts to help bring the price back down. These include:
- College graduate
- Good student
- Mature driver
- Safety and security features
Again, This is only a sample of the features California Casualty offers. When you sign up for a policy with this company, an agent will comb through your details to make sure you get every discount possible.
California Casualty Reviews
California Casualty’s mission is to support teachers, nurses, and other community servants, and it seems to be accomplishing that goal relatively well. Most customer reviews are positive.
Happy policyholders state that they will be California Casualty customers for life and that they appreciate the special care taken with their needs. While they like the competitive prices, they love the recognition of the services they perform for their communities.
California Casualty performs annual policy reviews to ensure customers still need the coverage they originally bought. Many customers mentioned the review and said it saved them money on their insurance.
People mostly report that the claims process is lightning fast, and there are no issues getting claims paid.
Negative reviews are harder to find. The ones that do exist mostly mention problems with canceling policies.
For professional rating services, the Better Business Bureau gives California Casualty an A+, though there are several complaints listed on the site. A.M. Best, which rates companies on their financial security, gives this provider a BBB-.
Find the Best Car Insurance for Your Needs
Although you must be a teacher, nurse, firefighter, police officer, or other community servant to be eligible, California Casualty might be the best option for you if you qualify. California Casualty has products for just about any insurance need.
Even if you’re interested in a quote for California Casualty insurance, you should still shop for rates from other companies. While most customers are glad they went with California Casualty, there might be better rates for you.